Monday, February 4, 2013

Mr. Brightside.

"And at last I seeeee the light! And it's like a fog has lifted! And at last I seeeee the light! And it's like the sky is new! And it's warm and real and bright. And the world has somehow shifted. All at once, everything looks different, Now that I seeeeee youu!!!"

Wow ummm... it's been quite the month. Going days and days and days without seeing any sign of blue sky....  Oh, and don't forget the constant Utah smog and inflation... it's been quite depressing. For everyone.

Everyone around me has been down and droopy. I couldn't stand to really get on social networks because post after post after post was negativity and endless complaining. I mean come on people! Look at the bright side of things.

But today is different:) I see the blue sky, I hear the birds chirp, and I even think a saw a patch of green grass walking to class this morning - but I could be wrong. It's been so long since I've seen grass I might have forgotten what it looks like. And although my nose is an endless fountain and my throat feels like a cat scratched it, I couldn't be more happy:)

One thing that I've learned - that I often forget about - is that

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!

Lately many of my church lessons or school classes have been focusing on one's "happiness". Now, i'm not sure if that is because all the curriculum just happened to line up at the right time, or if happiness is something that i've been focusing on personally lately, but I've learned some things.

We shouldn't waste any time moping around and complaining about life when we could choose to go out a make a difference in our own lives.
Or even better... in the lives of others. Giving of my time to serve others is generally what makes me the most happy.

We should stop focusing on the past or the future and live in the present - finding the good things that are around us right now.
Often times I find myself anxious for a certain even to occur and then telling myself that once this day comes, I'll be so happy and excited. Then the day comes and passes and yes, I was happy, but if I would have focused on the present, I could have been a lot more happier.

Dieter F. Uchtdoft said this at the October 2012 general conference:


"Doesn’t it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?
Do we listen to beautiful music waiting for the final note to fade before we allow ourselves to truly enjoy it? No. We listen and connect to the variations of melody, rhythm, and harmony throughout the composition.
Do we say our prayers with only the “amen” or the end in mind? Of course not. We pray to be close to our Heavenly Father, to receive His Spirit and feel His love.
We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available—all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect. “This is the day which the Lord hath made … ,” the Psalmist wrote. “Rejoice and be glad in it."

Jeesh... isn't he just amazing? Love him!

It is up to us to choose how we will react. I've been bad at this lately and have often found myself thinking negative or not-so-happy thoughts and wishing for certain days to arrive - letting days just fly past me without even thinking.
"Don't count the days, make the days count"
I've made many mistakes in the past, but the important thing is to try to correct them now. My time here is short. This life is short. Compared to God's eyes, life on Earth is just the blink of an eye. So be happy :)

Re-create relationships: life is way too short to hold grudges and lose friends.

Tell someone each day how much they mean: you never know when one conversation will be your last.

Find something beautiful outside in nature: even when it's freezing and miserable, the world is gorgeous.

Keep a gratitude journal: There is something we have every day that we take for granted.

Call at least one person every day: relationships are a HUGE part of happiness.

Perform small acts of service: they remind us to be humble and thankful.

"Brothers and sisters, no matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it.
Perhaps we should be looking less with our eyes and more with our hearts. I love the quote: “One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.”
As i'm preparing for a mission, I think it's especially important to look for the good, not only in life, but in other people. No one is perfect, but we are all sons and daughters of God. Everyone is special.


"But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr. Brightside."

No comments:

Post a Comment